What is Slippery Elm (Ulmus Rubra)
Slippery elm is a tree. The inner bark (not the whole bark) is used as medicine.
- People take slippery elm for
- sore throat
- irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- bladder & urinary tract infections
- and for expelling tapeworms.
It is also used for protecting against stomach and duodenal ulcers, for colitis, diverticulitis, GI inflammation, and too much stomach acid. Slippery elm is also taken by mouth to cause an abortion.
Slippery elm is applied to the skin for wounds, burns, gout, rheumatism, cold sores, boils, abscesses, ulcers, toothaches, sore throat and as a lubricant to ease labor.
Use Slippery Elm (Ulmus Rubra) for Pets (Dogs, Cats & Horses)
- NATURAL WAY TO EASE DIARRHEA – If you’ve searched for herbs for dog diarrhea, you really need just one! Slippery elm is a natural, single-ingredient herb, 100% safe and easy on your pet’s system. Widely known for its powerful digestive properties, Slippery elm can help stop diarrhea in dogs and cats!
- SUPPORTS DOGS WITH MEGAESOPHAGUS – Pet parents who have dogs with megaesophagus can benefit from Slippery elm. This herb can be considered a lozenge for your dog. Consider how the more common throat lozenge works. The lozenge coats the sore throat, lubricating it so it’s easier to swallow food and liquids. Slippery Elm does the same. This herb coats the esophagus allowing food to pass through with ease while also soothing the GI tract and reducing inflammation. (YASS! Take THAT, megaesophagus!)
- GREAT FOR DOGS OF ALL AGES & SIZES – GI care is a big priority for pet parents because a troubled digestive system affects all aspects of a pet’s life. To be prepared, pet parents really need one failsafe in the pet medicine cabinet, Slippery Elm. It soothes the GI tract, allowing your pet’s stomach time to recover so your guy can get back on his paws sooner!
- PURRFECT FOR CATS TOO! – Cat diarrhea is the worst thing to stumble upon while cleaning out their litter box, but it does certainly remind pet parents that kitties aren’t immune to tummy trouble either. That’s why every pet parent should have Slippery elm on hand. Known for its digestive aid properties, this herb soothes your kitty’s GI tract which means no more cat upset stomach, no more mess to clean up and no more miserable kitty.
- GET THEIR BACKEND BACK TO NORMAL – Constipation and doggy diarrhea are both signs (on opposite ends of the spectrum) that signal bigger GI issues. Once Slippery Elm lubricates the bowels, your pet is able to eat and drink, solving pet constipation or providing diarrhea relief for dogs and cats. (Yay regularity!) This also cuts down on healing time, so your pet can get back to his happy, healthy ways.
- FIRST DEFENSE AGAINST INFLAMMATION – Slippery elm is a mighty and powerful herb! It simply lubricates the protective layers of the bowel that are inflamed so that irritants (food, grass, anything else your dog deems edible) don’t bother the inflamed bowels more. This gives an upset stomach a chance to recover!
Shake Well before each use.
Maintenance Serving: Dissolve 1-2 droppers (1/2 tsp.) in warm water or juice 2-3 times daily.
Augmented Serving: Take 1 full tsp. 2 to 3 times daily in warm water or juice or as directed by a qualified herbalist familiar with the use of Chinese herbs and formulas.
To evaporate alcohol place in hot water.