What is Dan Shen Pian?
Dan Shen Pian is used for circulation problems, “brain attack” (stroke), chest pain (angina pectoris), and other diseases of the heart and blood vessels. It is also used for menstrual disorders, chronic liver disease, and trouble sleeping caused by complaints such as rapid heartbeat and tight chest. Some people use Dan Shen for skin conditions including acne, psoriasis, and eczema. It is also used to relieve bruising and to aid in wound healing.
Use Dan Shen with the following symptoms:
- Chest pain (angina). Early research suggests that taking dan shen by mouth for up to 6 months is as effective as isosorbide dinitrate for reducing chest pain in heart disease patients.
- Bronchitis. Early research suggests that injecting dan shen in addition to usual treatment reduces symptoms of chronic asthmatic bronchitis and improves lung function after 3-4 days. However, by day 10, adding dan shen to conventional therapy does not seem to produce additional benefit.
- High cholesterol. Early research suggests that adding dan shen acupoint injections to lipid-lowering medications for 30 days decreases total cholesterol, low density lipoprotein (LDL or “bad”) cholesterol, and certain blood fats called triglycerides it people with high cholesterol. It also seems to help increase high-density lipoprotein (HDL or “good”) cholesterol.
- A type of stroke caused by a blood clot (ischemic stroke). Early research shows that receiving dan shen by mouth or injecting dan shen intravenously (by IV) might improve brain function after an ischemic stroke.
- Kidney transplant. Early research suggests that receiving an injection with dan shen for 10 days along with usual treatment improves kidney function after a kidney transplant, but does not reduce the risk of a transplant rejection.
- Blood circulation problems.
- Menstrual problems.
- Abdominal masses.
- Sleeplessness (insomnia).
- Skin conditions.
- Chronic liver inflammation (hepatitis).
- Wound healing.
** This formula can be helpful for pets (dogs or cats) with Kidney disease or urinary incontinence
Due to its action to invigorate Blood, this formula is contraindicated for use during pregnancy.
Chinese herbs work differently from Western drugs – they help clear the root of the problem. Often these herbs work better if taken for some time, depending on the severity and length of symptoms