Suan Zao Ren
English Name: ziziphus, sour date seed
Pharmaceutical Name: Semen Zizyphi Spinosae
Medica Category: Shen Calming Herbs
Properties: Suan Zao Ren enters the Heart and Liver channels; it is sweet in nature and neutral in temperature.
What is Suan Zao Ren?:
The Chinese Herb Suan Zao Ren (literally “sour date seed”) is the dried seed from the fruit of a particular variation of the jujube tree (Ziziphus jujuba Mill. var. spinosa) that grows well/is cultivated in Northern China (or anywhere with hot, dry climates that experience cold winters). Sour jujube dates (aka Chinese dates or red dates) are harvested in the fall when they ripen and turn red. The flesh of the fruit is removed to obtain the seed kernel, which is then crushed before decoction. Suan Zao Ren can be used unprocessed (better for insomnia w/heat) or dry-fried at a low temperature til the seeds turn brown (better at stopping sweating).
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) Therapeutic Actions of Suan Zao Ren:
According to TCM theory, the shen resides in the Heart. When there is enough blood in the Heart, the shen can rest there peacefully. When the Heart blood is deficient, however, then the shen cannot reside there peacefully and can be said to be disturbed– one way shen disturbance presents clinically is with insomnia, palpitations, restlessness, anxiety, and forgetfulness.
Suan Zao Ren nourishes Heart blood that has become deficient due to: (1) Spleen deficiency (the Spleen, the producer of blood, cannot make enough blood to properly supply the Heart); (2) Liver Yin deficiency (the Liver, where blood is stored, cannot supply the Heart with enough blood); or (3) Kidney Yin deficiency (Kidney and Liver combine to provide the Heart with blood).
Suan Zao Ren (dry-fried) is used for symptomatic relief of night sweats and spontaneous sweating (due to qi and/or yin deficiencies).
Use with caution during pregnancy as Suan Zao Ren stimulates contractions of the uterus.
This herb prolongs sleeping time produced by barbiturates, antihistamines, narcotic analgesics, benzodiazepines and others.
Use caution for persons with an exterior condition.
Showing 1–16 of 26 results
- Gui Pi Tang (Ginseng and Longan) – Liquid Extract (Tincture)Starting at $10.89 Add to Cart
- Healthy Brain Pills (Jian Nao Wan) – by LV Bai He Brand$9.72 Add to Cart
- Gui Pi Wan – Angelicae Longona Extract – Kingsway (KGS) Brand – (OUT OF STOCK)Starting at $6.99 Add to Cart
Plum Flower – Bu Nao Pian
$26.60Add to Cart
- Solstice Medicines – Tian Wang Bu Xin Dan$9.59 Add to Cart
- An Shen Bu Nao (Calm Mind) – by Lao Wei$8.66 Add to Cart
- Suan Zao Ren Tang (Zizyphus Decoction) – Liquid Extract (Tincture)Starting at $10.89 Add to Cart
- Bu Nao Wan – Authentic Solstice Medicine$14.40 Add to Cart
Plum Flower – Suan Zao Ren Tang Pian
$29.00Add to Cart
- Plum Flower – Emperor’s Teapills – Tian Wang Bu Xin WanStarting at $19.13 Add to Cart
- Solstice Medicines – Gui Pi Wan$9.59 Add to Cart
- Plum Flower – Gui Pi Teapills – Gui Pi WanStarting at $21.23 Add to Cart
- An Mian PianStarting at $6.45 Add to Cart
- Healthy Spleen Combo (Gui Pi Wan) – by Lao Wei$8.66 Add to Cart
- Ding Xin Wan – Tranquilex TeapillStarting at $8.49 Add to Cart