What was once considered a food only for vegetarians is now being used in many dishes to help reduce inflammation, boost immunity, and even help with weight loss.
Mushrooms – especially medicinal mushrooms – are becoming a popular addition to many health-focused food and drink recipes. Why? Because these mushrooms are packed with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and healing compounds.
Curious about how you can use medicinal mushrooms in the kitchen, too? Let’s go beyond the traditional recipes for portabellas and shiitakes and share a few easy ways you can incorporate powerful medicinal mushrooms in your daily snacks and beverages.
How to Cook with Medicinal Mushrooms
Before we dig into the recipes, here are a few tips for making the most out of your medicinal mushrooms:
Opt for Powders
While you can find medicinal mushrooms in capsules or dried whole, the easiest way tot cook with them is in their powdered form.
Powdered medicinal mushrooms, like those from Real Mushrooms, are easy to blend into recipes like smoothies or add to baked good recipes.
With all the benefits of medicinal mushrooms, it’s tempting to want to add heaping spoons of mushroom powder to your recipes. Resist the temptation and start small! It’s a better strategy to let your body acclimate to the medicinal mushroom powders. Plus, these mushrooms do have their own flavor and too much can quickly turn a delicious meal too bitter.
Match the Mushroom Variety with the Recipe
There are many types of healing mushrooms, each with their own superpowers. While some mushrooms are great for boosting energy in your morning brew, others might help you feel calm and relaxed and may be better used in a late night snack. Consider the energetics and effects of each mushroom when choosing which ones to use with which recipes.
Here is a brief overview of how each of the healing mushrooms we carry at Best Chinese Medicine can be used:
Turkey Tail: best for immunity
Chaga: best for digestion
Cordyceps: best for energy and athletic performance
Lion’s Mane: best for clarity, focus, and mental stamina
Reishi: best for immunity, calming, and sleep
Medicinal Mushroom Recipes for Wellbeing
Morning Boost Mushroom Latte
Power Mushroom: Lion’s Mane
Use for: Starting the day off right with a healthy dose of focus and concentration. Great for busy work days, studying, or staying productive.
500mL water, off boil for 2-3 minutes added to:
1 tsp. coconut oil or coconut butter
1 tsp. of Lion’s Mane Mushroom Powder
Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
raw honey to taste (optional)
Blend all ingredients in a blender, pour into a mug, and enjoy!
Power Protein + Mushroom Perfomance Smoothie
Power Mushroom: Cordyceps
Use for: Supercharge your workout with a powerful blend of plant-based proteins and performance-enhancing corydceps mushroom.
1 large banana
1 scoop of vegan protein powder
1 tsp. of Cordyceps (Militaris) Mushroom Powder
300ml almond milk
2 medjool dates
1 tablespoon almond butter
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
a pinch of cinnamon
Blend all ingredients in a blender. Drink 30-60 minutes before your workout.
Healthy Belly Vegetable Soup
Power Mushroom: Chaga
Use for: Support your digestive system with a bowl of warming vegetable soup. Along with the many vitamins and minerals from the range of healthy veggies, the chaga powder helps to boost digestive function, heal a stressed digestive tract, and encourage total body health.
2 tbsp Coconut Oil
2 tbsp Ginger minced
2 tbsp Garlic minced
1/2 cup Green Onions chopped
1/2 cup tarami or soy sauce
2 Tbs of Chaga Mushroom Powder
1 red bell pepper sliced
1/2 bunch cilantro or parsley chopped
2 tbsp mint chopped
1 sweet potato peeled and diced
1 zucchini chopped
1 whole bok choy chopped
1/2 bunch kale chopped
8 Cups Bone Broth
1 lb rice noodles
1 lemon juiced
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add ginger, garlic and green onions and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add white ends of bok choy and the sweet potatoes, along with the other tablespoon of coconut oil. Saute 2-3 min.
- Add tamari or soy sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining veggies and half the cilantro and stir (reserve the other half of cilantro and mint).
- Add bone broth and bring to boil.
- Add rice noodles, stir, and cook until soft.
- Top with remaining cilantro and mint, and squeeze lemon juice. Stir & serve.
Relaxing Reishi Brownies (by Real Mushrooms)
Power Mushroom: Reishi
Use for: These reishi brownies are a healthy wind-down snack that’s perfect after a long day. Reishi calms the nervous system and adds depth and elegance to these indulgent brownies.
½ cup coconut oil
½ cup + 1 tbsp cacao powder
60 g chocolate
20 g cacao butter
½ cup honey
½ cup maple syrup
½ tsp vanilla
¼ cup + 2 tbsp coconut flour
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp Reishi 415 Mushroom Powder
1 tbsp ashwagandha
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees.
- Spread light layer of coconut oil over brownie baking pan.
- Add coconut oil, cacao powder, chocolate, and cacao butter to double boiler and heat until melted then remove from heat and pour into cool bowl. Allow to cool to a temperature that is safe to touch.
- Pour in honey, maple syrup, vanilla, and eggs. Mix thoroughly.
- Add in remaining ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Pour mix into 1.5-inch thick brownie trays.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
Other Ways to Cook with Your Medicinal Mushrooms
There are many more recipes to use your medicinal mushrooms out there! Here are a few other ideas to tempt your tastebuds:
- Add to homemade dressings and vinaigrettes.
- Add a heaping spoonful to other types of soups and stews.
- Add to muffin, cake, and waffle recipes.
- Add to homemade bone broth or stock.
- Add to no-bake energy balls.
- Sprinkle over granola or cereal.
- Add to any smoothie, coffee, or hot chocolate recipe.
Cook Your Way to Wellness with Medicinal Mushrooms
What’s a better way to “take your medicine” than sipping on a lion’s mane latte or nibbling a chocolatey reishi dessert?
Wih Real Mushrooms medicinal mushroom powders, you can easily turn even the simplest snacks into a healing expereince for your mind, body, and gut.
Find all these medicinal mushorom powders (and more!) here at Best Chinese Medicines.